In the article “Motivation and learning”, it is mentioned that higher motivation leads to better results, so 1 and 2 are ways to increase motivation. Also in the article “Learning Theories”, three different learning theories are mentioned. In contrast, the mint reading is more on the side of Constructivists. When reading, it is basically free to understand, because everyone has different perceptions of the book. Mint Reading will only explain some phrases and words after the day’s reading is done, and will not explain the content of the reading. This is what I like. After reading and accumulating every day, everyone will have their own understanding and opinion about the books, so they can learn better.

Share a story about your best learning experience (could be a formal course or something more personal). Why did you enjoy it?

The one learning experience that I personally found very successful was the experience of reading in English, which was the process of learning and reading English books at Mint Reading. Because as a non-native English speaker, reading a novel in English would put a lot of pressure on myself and it would be hard to keep going through it. It’s possible that, like myself, I would have wanted to give up before I was ready to start. I was already under a lot of pressure to read every day in class, but at the same time I wanted to improve my vocabulary and reading skills. So I found a public website equivalent to WeChat, and I was able to read a book in about 120 days by setting aside about 10 to 20 minutes a day to read the required content and recognize some words. Here are some of the reasons why I think this experience was the best learning experience for me in comparison.

1. Clear goals 

Compared to the motivation to “understand a lot of English movies”, “improve my English vocabulary significantly”, etc., it is obvious that “read a famous English book in 100 days” feels easier to achieve? So for overall motivation, mint reading would be a high source of motivation, and it would be easier to stick to it. And if you mention to others that you have finished reading a famous English book, you will feel much more powerful than just memorizing a word book!

2. Sporadic study time, more convenient

When a thick book is divided into 100 days, you only need to read 10-20 minutes a day, which not only reduces the time cost of studying, but also reduces our psychological burden. The overall study pressure is divided into smaller study pressures, which works really well for people like myself who give up easily. Again this is a source of high motivation and will be more conducive to our learning.

3. Conspicuous reminders and feedback

WeChat is the most used app in daily life, and in the personal center, you can see your study status, green means read for the day, orange means catch-up reading, and gray means incomplete. This way you can see your reading situation of the day every time you use your phone, and you won’t have a lazy mindset.

4. Ebbinghaus memory curve

In the overall reading process will be interspersed with some words that need to be remembered, and these words will be repeated according to the Ebbinghaus memory curve time, so as to get better results. As mentioned in the article “why learning is hard”, learning is the process of breaking down old ideas, and forgetting is also a process of “breaking down”. Therefore, a more scientific approach to memorizing words will lead to better efficiency.